Forest Operative Standard
A choice of two pathways;
Establishment and Maintenance OR Harvesting Pathway
(Non-levy Employer Co-investment £600)
Additional Mandatory NPTC Assessment Costs = £POA
The Lynher Training Forest Operative Apprenticeship has a duration of 18 months. Note that this apprenticeship has two different pathways to choose from. During this time the apprentice will be taught all the skills required in order to be put forward for their end-point examination at the end of the period. This end-point assessment will include an online knowledge test and a practical skills test with verbal questioning. The end-point assessment is performed by an independent Lantra Assessor. The forest operative apprenticeship consists of a series of mandatory qualifications and a range of industry knowledge and skills which will need to be developed during the apprenticeship. The apprentice will also need to show a positive and committed work ethic.
The following mandatory qualifications would be required prior to end point assessment for both pathways:
• Level 2 award in emergency first aid at work (in a forestry context known as +F)
• Level 2 award in chainsaw maintenance
• Level 2 award in crosscutting timber using a chainsaw
• Level 2 award in felling and processing trees up to 380mm
Alongside the mandatory qualification, the apprentice will also gain knowledge in tree and fungi identification, tree pests, diseases and disorders, plant health and legislation, tree planting and aftercare, woodland management and biosecurity. These are required learning elements which contribute towards their EPA online knowledge test and verbal questioning.
Establishment and Maintenance Pathway
The Forestry Standard-Establishment and Maintenance Pathway covers a wide range of elements with further mandatory qualifications including:
• Level 2 Principles of Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance/Level 2 Safe Use of Pesticides
• Level 2 Award in Safe Application of Pesticides using Pedestrian Hand Held Equipment (including application near water)
• Level 2 Award in Safe Use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers
• Level 2 Award in Forestry Clearing Saw
The Forestry Standard-Harvesting Pathway covers a wide range of elements with further mandatory qualifications including:
• Level 3 award in felling and processing trees over 380mm
• Apprentices without level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for level 2 English and maths prior to taking the end-point assessment
As an independent Training Provider an apprentice can start at any agreed time. If as an employer you are interested in taking on an apprenticeship then do get in touch. If you are an apprentice candidate looking for an employer then do get in touch so we can make employers aware of your availability.